Integration explanation
I began by setting up the ESP32 to communicate with a 16×2 LCD display using the I2C communication protocol. The first step was to install the required libraries in the Arduino IDE. I installed the LiquidCrystal I2C library developed which enables the ESP32 to control the LCD via the I2C bus using simple commands. I also confirmed that the Wire library, which is included by default in the Arduino IDE, was available to handle the I2C communication. During the compilation process, a warning appeared indicating that the LiquidCrystal I2C library was primarily designed for AVR architecture. However, the library is compatible with the ESP32 and functions correctly despite this warning.
To verify the connection between the ESP32 and the LCD, I wrote a simple test program. The code begins by including the necessary libraries: Wire.h for I2C communication and LiquidCrystal_I2C.h for controlling the LCD display. I then created an LCD object using the I2C address 0x27, which is commonly used for many LCD I2C modules, and specified that the display has a 16×2 configuration.
Within the setup() function, I initialized serial communication to allow debugging through the Arduino IDE’s Serial Monitor. I then started the I2C communication using the ESP32’s default pins, where GPIO21 is used for SDA (data) and GPIO22 is used for SCL (clock). After initializing the LCD, I enabled the backlight, cleared the display, and printed a welcome message. The message displayed “ESP32 Connected” on the first line and “LCD Working” on the second line. This message remained on the screen for two seconds to confirm that the display was functioning correctly.
In the loop() function, I implemented a counter that increases every second. Each time the counter increments, the LCD is cleared and updated with new information. The first line displays the text “ESP32 Counter,” while the second line shows the current counter value. Additionally, I included a small feature where an exclamation mark appears next to the counter whenever the value is a multiple of five. This continuous update demonstrates that the ESP32 is successfully communicating with the LCD and that the display refreshes correctly.
After uploading the program to the ESP32, I monitored the output through the Arduino IDE’s Serial Monitor and observed the results on the physical LCD display. The compilation report indicated that the sketch used approximately 23% of the available program storage and 7% of the dynamic memory, which is well within the ESP32’s capacity. The upload process completed successfully, and the ESP32 was detected on COM14. On the hardware side, the LCD initially displayed the welcome message before switching to the incrementing counter, which updated every second as expected. These results confirmed that the ESP32 and the LCD were properly connected and communicating reliably through the I2C interface.

Comments
Post a Comment